Friday 21 September 2012

Week Two! Woo Hoo!


 
Yeah so I closed my last post on Saturday 15th, here's what's been happening since then!

On Sunday was my second service and I went out with the 11-14 Youth Group this time. We made a banner with our handprints on it and we talked about what makes us who we are! Then we had more guests, Jess, a girl who used to live with my host family, Michelle, Leum and Rebecca and their two sons. We had a delicious roast dinner and played on the trampoline for a while. It was a great night and it was lovely meeting more people!

The next day was back to Monday again... Only this time I was straight out to an assembly at Holy Trinity Primary School. We talked about Roald Dahl and his book, the BFG for Roald Dahl day, and how dreams aren't just what you think about at night when you sleep, but they also can be your hopes and plans for the future. We then talked about how in the bible it says in Jeremiah 29:11 

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Then later we returned to Holy Trinity to run a lunchtime club where we looked at the importance of our names and we helped the children make a name plate for their door out of pipe cleaners. The children also seemed to like wearing the pipe cleaners as glasses so I also ended up making about 4 pairs of fluffy bright specs! 

The afternoon was taken up by two nurture groups, where we took aside a small group of children and talked to them about a certain topic. This week's topic was Things I Like! We encouraged the children to share things about themselves by asking them some questions. Then we made a collage of all the things we like using pictures from a catalogue, and after they had finished, they explained why each thing showed a little about who they are as a person. I, of course, also made one of these little collages with lots of things that I like! 

Tuesday was again working in Jelly Tots with the mums and toddlers. Then I had the rest of the day at home... which I naturally spent catching up on my sleep. 

Wednesday was again The Lounge. All the YFC One Volunteers went to the group this week which made it a lot easier to cover the whole group. I had a fudge milkshake which was divine! I highly recommend it! 

Thursday was mainly spent preparing for the three groups we had on later that day, however at 12:05pm I helped out in a Spanish class at Paulet school, which meant that when Simon and I made some dough for the pizza bases that the kids at Mix Mania and Thursday Crew were going to make, I was wearing my smart trousers and a white blouse! We got quite a bit messy with flour everywhere and dough on our hands, but it was a lot of fun! Then at Mix Mania I helped Chris with the cooking, being a helping hand for any of the kids who were struggling to flatten the dough or spread the tomato puree! Then Simon and Julia stayed for the Thursday Crew and I headed over to King's Way for n:gage again. This week Alex, Michael and Jack gave us a presentation about their trip to Burundi and the things they got up to, helping those who have nothing. Then we split into groups and started work on a drama presentation. One more thing... Peanuts!

So today, it's Friday (Woo!) and I have the whole day off work in the office which I have used to update this blog! Tonight is the Riverside Youth Group (which should be interesting as I'm supposed to be planning a game!) so I shall let you know how that goes soon! Hope you've all had a wonderful week! Thanks so much for your prayer support!


No comments:

Post a Comment